Monday, November 16, 2009

Fixing

It's amazing how much time I spend as a mom "fixing".  First, the washing machine wouldn't go on spin cycle. I tried a short cycle, then I unplugged it for a few minutes and plugged it back in. Then I ran a different cycle.  I noticed an odd smell, kind of electrical in nature, coming from the washer. I decided to unplug it and look for a solution. Moni started to complain because she needed her clothes washed, so I asked our neighbor if we could do a load over at her house. While Moni took care of that, I looked up the problem on the internet and realized that the problem was with the suction hose connected to the pump. It was possibly clogged.  So I got a philips screwdriver and started removing the panel off the washer when Moni came down and tells me that she needs me to take her to the bank to cash her check before they closed.  She needs the money for tonight to go to a play.  Because I didn't have any cash on me, I grabbed my keys and off we went. While heading out, I called Daniel and let him know about the washer. When I got home, he was searching for the problem.  I told him to look in the suction hose and Voila! There is a deck screw stuck in the line preventing the pump from working. Hence, the wierd electrical smell.  He pulled it out and the machine is now working just fine. [ I wonder who leaves screws in their pants pockets? wink, wink Daniel ;)]
Most of my days are filled with stories like this.  As Mom, I am expected to fix food, schedules, owies, machinery, relationships, and do it all in record time.  I offer quilt-like comfort, act as verbal sounding board, answer encyclopdiacly to numerous questions, and perform comedy routines to keep my kids happy and put things in perspective.  This is what I am expected to do. I try to do it.  I am not perfect, but I am willing.  My mother was this woman for me. I try to be this for my children, in hopes that in the future, they can do it for their children. Every day that I successfully accomplish something, I think of my awesome Mom and thank God for her. She is still the best "fixer" I know! 

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,
    I so enjoy reading your blog! Thanks for sharing you every day with us.

    ReplyDelete