Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Where there's smoke...

My parents came to visit for Thanksgiving week. We had a marvolous time! I had never cooked a fresh turkey before, I had always done a frozen. It was remarkably better! Daniel was so sick of turkey, he even asked if we could do a ham instead but I was determined to find a way to make the turkey delish. The fresh turkey was the key.  It was moist, very juicy and tons more flavor. The left-overs have been divine.  When dinner was over, I did what I always do and put the carcass in a stock pot to boil.  I love using the juices to make soups- it is wonderful broth. 
At around 4pm, we decided to take pies and go visit Daniel's parents in Lindon. (about 30 min away)  We played a game of Rummikub, chatted, and ate pie.  Diane had a delicious Turtle pie with chocolate, and caramel.  Then Daniel, the kids, my parents, and I climbed in our car to come home.  We were back in Spanish Fork, about 1 block from our house, when I decided to turn the car around and take the opportunity to go to the Festival of Lights.  This is a light display that is set up in a city park.  It takes about 15-30 minutes to drive through and see the animation, and lighting. The kids always enjoy it. 
It was after 9 pm when we finally pulled into the driveway.  Daniel was the first one out of the car and up to the door.  He threw it opened and yelled "Fire!" I opened my car door and heard our smoke alarm going crazy.  I ran up to the door and there was smoke filling the house, acrid and horrible.  There wasn't a fire- yet.  Daniel had grabbed the stock pot, with the turkey carcass in it, and put it out the back door onto the driveway.  The pot was charred.  By the looks of it, we were about 3 minutes or less away from flames.  We had come home in the nick of time.  We aired the house out immediately.  Then when all was calm, we gathered around and gave a prayer of thanks to the Lord for His protective blessing.  Even though we aired it out as best we could, it was nearly unbearable to sleep that night.  The smell was horrible!  Like a bad 1970's motel.  Smoke is like a sandstorm rushing through your house, it covers everything! And what it doesn't settle on, it penetrates.  The next morning, we got cleaner and started cleaning up.  It is 5 days later, and it still smells a bit, but I know that will go away with cleaning, and time. 
I have had a few days to ponder our miracle.  What if we had played another game? What if we had spent longer at the Festival of Lights?  What if.....?  But it we didn't.  I don't know why we were blessed to have our house saved from a fire, but I am humbled by it.  Very humbled.  What a reminder of the blessings I have and the true things that make my life worth living- my family.  I don't know if I am priviledged to a feline-9 lives, but it sure feels as though I have used a few.  It truly became a Thanksgiving for us.


  1. No. Way.

    Jenn, that's crazy! I'm so glad you're all okay and your house is still standing!

  2. you do have a lot to be Thankful for this year!